Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Care and Feeding of a PhD Student

Wow! The conclusion of the formal portion of yet another outstanding day. I have already learned so much and received so much outstanding advice about everything from research and scholarship to practical details of completing a PhD and negotiating the academic profession that I am amazed my head doesn't just explode. Wow! (It bears repeating)

Today we had an inspiring and educational talk from Mary Sue MacNealy as well as some great presentations (continuing the trend) from our peers. I find myself taking tons of notes during these presentations as they inspire ideas for my own research.

As my peers have already mentioned, this program is populated with just tremendous people doing outstanding work in the field of technical communication and rhetoric. This goes for both the faculty as well as the students. What makes this program truly outstanding and amazing is that every one of those people is so open and free about sharing the information, both useful little tidbits and large meaty chunks, that you find yourself learning while selecting candy at the vending machine, over lunch, or at a late-night (pa)jam(a) session.

When I compare my program with that of those of my friends they are also amazed at the level of support and networking that this program offers. This program truly is a community with strong connections that I believe will sustain and nurture us throughout our careers -- not just through the PhD process. This program is not about competition but support and fellowship. We are excited when our ideas can feed and support the ideas of others. I cannot imagine there is a more supportive program out there than this one and I feel truly blessed to be a part of it.

No comments: